Currently, I am attending an Exodus Conference here in Marion Indiana. Exodus is the largest information and referral ministry in the world addressing homosexual issues. Let me clarify that I am not battling the struggle of homosexuality, but I have noticed a few things being here:
1. Quite frankly, I am not much different from many of the attendees here who are in bondage to sin that they simply cannot overcome by themselves. Though Exodus does address homosexual issues, it's message is universal - that those who are struggling with bondage, pain, hurt, and brokeness, can find healing, HEALING, in what God has to offer them in Christ Jesus.
2. The Church, sadly, has dropped the 'ball' when it comes to compassion. President of Exodus International Alan Chambers put it this way, "I would absolutely love to have the priveledge of closing our doors one day, because the Church picked up the slack and was ministering the healing and compassion Jesus Christ lived out in the Gospels." I've discovered something that might seem striking to some people: Homosexuals aren't the only ones going to hell - there are heterosexuals who are too.
3. Exodus IS NOT about turning the homosexual community into "straight, law-abiding, Christians." Exodus is about KNOWING God and His healing power that helps us overcome adversity and life's "ouches," as Pastor 'Hutch' Hutcherson said. As followers of Christ, we are called to compassion - not affirmation - but compassion.
There are many more things I've been learing here that I hope to post on this blog soon. If you are reading this and are in bondage to homosexuality, let me say to you - YOU ARE LOVED. YOU ARE WORTHY. Jesus Christ DOES want you. To everyone else in bondage to any form of sin (who isn't right?) let me echo those words to you. God is not a God of condemnation. He is not looking down his nose at you. He is running to you with open arms.
Grab your Bible and Read Luke 15.
Blessings,
Joe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment